The Resource "Making things come good" : Aborigines and miners at Argyle, Kim Elizabeth Doohan
- "Making things come good" : Aborigines and miners at Argyle, Kim Elizabeth Doohan
- Title remainder
- Aborigines and miners at Argyle
- Statement of responsibility
- Kim Elizabeth Doohan
- "November 2006"
- CD-ROM entitled: Argyle Diamond Mine participation agreement, 23 September 2004 : Indigenous land use agreement and management plan agreement
- Accompanying material
- 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Bibliography note
- Bibliography: p. 352-398
- Introduction: thesis goals and background; Aborigines and miners; Argyle as a case study; the analytic context -- Aborigines and miners in the literature: Aborigines and miners; Historical context; The impact of mining on Aboriginal people: the East Kimberley Impact Assessment Project - EKIAP; the 1991 Crocodile Hole Meeting; The legacy of early studies of Aborigines and miners; Argyle in the literature -- Research methods, theoretical influences, ethical issues, and sources of data : background; Theoretical influences; Field work as method; Ethics as method; The data; Archival material: Argyle Archives; CRA/Rio Tinto Archives; Comalco Archives; Kimberley Land Council Archives; Warmun Community Archives; Interview material: corporate interview material; interviews with Aboriginal people -- Aboriginal people of the Kimberley and their post-contact history: the East Kimberley region; Kimberley Aboriginal cultures; The concept of country; The study area; Identity and the MoU of 2001; Contemporary Aboriginal settlement patterns; Regional centres and Aboriginal communities; The post contact historical context -- CRA Limited and the making of the good neighbour agreement: the evolution of Argyle's corporate structure; History of diamond exploration in the Kimberley; CRA Limited - corporate culture & structure : background; CRA's philosophy and the corporate view; Early engagements between CRAE and Aborigines at Argyle: signing the Good Neighbour Agreement -- Aboriginal cultural context: anthropological work in the Kimberley: early work, Phyllis Kaberry's East Kimberley research; Post World War II; Key cultural practices of the Gija, Miriwoong and Maingin: kinship and the skin system, descent and other country connections, gender, decision making; The Dreaming: the Ngarranggarni -- Wirnan, Kurara, Manthe and "Joonba" : the Wirnan: introductory remarks; Anthropological interpretations and descriptions of the Wirnan; Geographical extent of the Wirnan; Cultural capital at Argyle - Kurara, Manthe and "Joonba": introductory remarks, Kurara "to make more" or "talking to land", Manthe, Manthe - a funerary rite (or "smoking ceremony", Manthe - the host/guest relationship, "Joonba" - "Dreaming" the Dreaming and dealing with disorder, the two "Joonba" : Daiwul and Fire Fire Burning Bright (Marnem, Marnem Dililib Benuwarrenji) -- Enacting the good neighbour approach: introducstory remarks - the Good neighbour in context; Formal articulation of the Good Neightbour at Argyle; Wirnan and the Good Neighbour as Practice at Argyle: Indigenous accounts of Argyle and the Wirnan, the Good Neighbour comes under attack; Argyle Social Impact Group (ASIG); The Good Neighbout 1993-1996; Extension of Good Neighbour funds for other projects; Daiwul Gidja Cultural Group; "No more Toyotas"; Signatories Fund -- Extending the life of Argyle: technological innovation and ceremonial performance: Ceremonal performances at Argyle; Manthe: Manthe as a welcome to the Argyle Mine; What the welcome Manthe looks like; Manthe as a funerary ceremony; the meaning of Manthe; Alternative interpretations of the continued productivity of the mine: the"ground breaking" and "underground" Manthe -- Beyond iconic simplicity
- Control code
- 30 cm. +
- xvi, 399 p.
- Governing access note
- Open access - reading. Open copying for private study (in accordance with Copyright Act 1968), closed quotation. Not for Inter-Library Loan
- Other physical details
- ill., maps
- Stock number
ContextContext of "Making things come good" : Aborigines and miners at Argyle, Kim Elizabeth Doohan
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance "Making things come good" : Aborigines and miners at Argyle, Kim Elizabeth Doohan
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.aiatsis.gov.au/resource/cpjCJd4EKWA/" typeof="WorkExample http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.aiatsis.gov.au/resource/cpjCJd4EKWA/">"Making things come good" : Aborigines and miners at Argyle, Kim Elizabeth Doohan</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.aiatsis.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.aiatsis.gov.au/">Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS)</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS). Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...